

Tourist
1Min
South Africa
Two tourist bodies discovered in Northern Kruger National Park
South African National Parks has expressed shock and sadness after the bodies of two tourists were discovered in the Pafuri section of the Kruger National Park, while the vehicle they were travelling in remains missing.
South African National Parks (SANParks) deeply saddened by the discovery of two bodies in the northern part of the Kruger National Park.
In a statement SANParks said the bodies were found on Friday, 22 May 2026, in the Pafuri section, also known as the Nxanatseni North Region.
A search operation had been launched on Thursday evening after camp staff noticed that the tourists had failed to return to camp. The search continued into Friday when other tourists reportedly made the gruesome discovery near a river area.
Rangers were immediately alerted, and authorities also established that the vehicle the tourists had been travelling in was missing from the scene.
According to preliminary information, a white male aged 71, and a white female whose identity is still being confirmed, reportedly arrived at one of the Camps in the Kruger National Park on Sunday, 17 May 2026, driving a green Ford Ranger double cab.
Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Willie Aucamp described the incident as unprecedented in the history of the park.
“It is the first time in the history of the Kruger National Park that an incident of this nature has been reported,” said Aucamp.
SANParks confirmed that the next of kin of the deceased have been informed. The organisation will assist the family with transport to Limpopo, accommodation and repatriation costs.
The minister, SANParks board and management extended condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
The matter has since been handed over to police for further investigation. SANParks says no further details will be released at this stage to allow investigations to continue uninterrupted.










