

A 16-year-old boy from Malmesbury in the Western Cape was arrested after being linked to an international online network allegedly involved in child exploitation. Image: SAPS
Western Cape
1Min
South Africa
Malmesbury teen arrested over alleged child sexual abuse material
A 16-year-old Malmesbury teenager has been arrested for allegedly accessing, possessing and distributing child sexual abuse material after an international intelligence-led investigation linked him to the violent online network known as “764”. Several child victims have been identified.
A 16-year-old boy from Malmesbury in the Western Cape was arrested after being linked to an international online network allegedly involved in child exploitation.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) said the teenager was arrested on Monday, 17 August, following an intelligence-led investigation involving the FBI, the US Embassy and the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children.
SAPS’ National Serial and Electronic Crime Investigations Team traced the teenager to an address in Malmesbury after receiving intelligence that a person allegedly linked to the violent online networks known as “764” was operating in South Africa.
In a statement police spokesperson Lt Col Amanda van Wyk said that the networks are associated with the exploitation, blackmail and coercion of minors into online sexual abuse, as well as other violent criminal activities.
During the operation, investigators allegedly found explicit child sexual abuse material and videos depicting animal cruelty on electronic devices belonging to the suspect. The devices have been sent for further forensic analysis to establish the full extent of the alleged offences.
Police said several child victims have been identified so far.
The teenager was expected to appear in the Malmesbury Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 18 August.
SAPS said investigations are continuing and that possible additional charges relating to fraud and money laundering are also being considered.











