

The five suspects are expected to appear in court for the first time on Monday, 24 August 2026. Image: Supplied.
Emfuleni Local Municipality
1Min
South Africa
Five municipal workers nabbed in dodgy electricity reconnection scam
The Gauteng Political Killings Task Team has arrested five Emfuleni Local Municipality employees over allegations of fraud, theft and tampering with essential infrastructure linked to the illegal reconnection of electricity.
The Gauteng Political Killings Task Team (PKTT) has arrested five employees of the Emfuleni Local Municipality in connection with allegations of fraud, theft and tampering with essential infrastructure.
The arrests followed a takedown operation conducted in Vanderbijlpark on Friday, 21 August 2026.
The suspects, who are employed in the municipality's Revenue and Electrical Departments, are accused of allegedly using their positions to facilitate the illegal reconnection of electricity supplies.
According to preliminary investigations, the employees allegedly presented themselves to municipal customers as authorised officials who could reconnect electricity that had been disconnected by the municipality.
The clients were allegedly instructed to deposit various amounts of money directly into the suspects' bank accounts in exchange for the illegal reconnections.
The suspects are further accused of reconnecting electricity supplies without municipal authorisation.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) said the alleged scheme resulted in the illegal consumption of electricity and financial losses for the municipality.
The Gauteng PKTT said it would continue working with relevant stakeholders to ensure that individuals who abuse their positions for personal financial gain are held accountable.
The five suspects are expected to appear in court for the first time on Monday, 24 August 2026.
Police said the investigation remains ongoing and that further arrests are anticipated.











