

Three people have been arrested for allegedly attempting to gain unauthorised access to the 46th Ordinary SADC Summit. Image: AI Generated.
SADC
1Min
South Africa
Three arrested for attempting to gain unauthorised access to SADC Summit
Two Congolese nationals and a Zimbabwean national have been arrested in separate incidents after allegedly attempting to bypass accreditation and access-control measures at the 46th SADC Summit in Durban.
Three people have been arrested for allegedly attempting to gain unauthorised access to the 46th Ordinary SADC Summit being held at the Durban International Convention Centre (ICC).
The National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) confirmed the arrests on Sunday, saying only people with valid and properly issued accreditation will be allowed into the summit venue.
Two Congolese nationals were arrested on Saturday after allegedly trying to enter the venue using accreditation that had been issued to another person.
The suspects were stopped at an access-control point after their identities did not match the accreditation they presented.
They face charges of fraud, impersonation and contravening the Safety at Sports and Recreational Events Act 2 of 2010 for allegedly entering a designated area without authorisation.
NATJOINTS said their identities and the circumstances surrounding the attempted entry remain under investigation.
Earlier in the week, a Zimbabwean national was also arrested after allegedly attempting to obtain accreditation by claiming to be a performing artist in order to gain access to the summit.
The Zimbabwean national faces a charge relating to being illegally in South Africa.
NATJOINTS has warned that the sharing, lending, exchanging, falsification or misuse of accreditation will not be tolerated.
The structure said its security measures are designed to detect and prevent attempts to compromise the safety of delegates, Heads of State, government officials, accredited participants and members of the public.
NATJOINTS also said it is aware of planned marches and other public gatherings in and around Durban during the summit.
While the right to peaceful and lawful protest is respected, the structure warned there would be no tolerance for violence, intimidation, threats, property damage or attempts to breach restricted areas.
“Those participating in marches and gatherings are urged to comply with the law and instructions issued by law-enforcement officers,” NATJOINTS said.
The security structure reiterated that the SADC Summit would proceed as planned and warned that anyone attempting to compromise its security would face the full might of the law.
It also urged accredited individuals to safeguard their accreditation and not share, exchange, lend or transfer it to anyone else.











